Here's a list:
- The Mediterranean Sea: any city located on water of any type is a huge plus for me, but the Mediterranean Sea?! Over four kilometers of beautiful beaches with an active and well-maintained boardwalk, great restaurants and clubs, easy access to many other countries by sea, and a great place for people watching or soaking up the sun!
- The architecture: First and foremost you've got a bunch of amazing buildings designed by Gaudi, who I am now more obsessed with. This is on top of the gorgeous old Spanish architecture, innovative new designs sprinkled about, and other inspiring pieces from the Gothic period and beyond. In addition to buildings, there are modern sculptures to be discovered all over the city, oftentimes placed just feet from historic old structures.
- Which leads me to the next thing I loved: there is no fear of meshing old and new in terms of design, architecture, art. Here's an example:
- Many beautiful public parks. I grew up in a small town, green space is important to me!
- The Gothic quarter: An amazing old area full of cool buildings, narrow streets, public plazas, stores and restaurants with an endless supply of hidden things to be discovered.
- Ease of getting around: the city is big, but not that big. Drew and I walked most days. However, there's also a wonderful public transportation system of buses, trains and the subway to get wherever you need to go.
- Gelatterias and patiserrias on every block. Literally...you can't walk a block without going past one!
- The energy: like most cities, I suppose, but there's always something going on here. The only quiet time that we saw was the early mornings which we experienced when walking to our train at 6:30am.
- The schedule: they don't go to work until 10am, allowing more time for fun at night. Athough, yes they get out of work later, but they still manage to fit in a lot more fun time than most Americans.
- The amazing places close to the city: from wineries to the amazing Montserrat
|Gaudi's Casa Batllo (right)|
|Drew in front of a modern sculpture in front of the historic post office|
|Another cool piece in the city|
|Outside the entrance of Gaudi's Park Guell|
|Cool view of the city from inside Park Guell|
|The Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter|
|View from our hike at Montserrat|
Have you been to Barcelona? I'd love to hear your favorite things about the city!