Translate

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Your true traveler...seeking "boredom"

“Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.”Aldous Huxley

Here I am, Thursday morning at work.  The quote above that I found by googling "travel quotes" (http://matadornetwork.com/bnt/50-most-inspiring-travel-quotes-of-all-time/) spoke to my current mindset.

I'm trying hard to focus on the things that I "need" to do today, but I'm having a very tough time.  I'm thinking about being somewhere else.  Anywhere else.  Anywhere (even just at home, on a wide-open Saturday) where I have the freedom of boredom.  And I don't mean boredom in a negative way...I rarely find myself truly bored.  It is more, like Huxley says above, a pleasure of freedom of time where I find myself really experiencing life. 

The ultimate high of this feeling is felt while traveling...on those days when I have nothing planned, a whole day wide open for discovery...those are some of the most memorable days of past adventures.  I cannot wait for six or more months of that.

It's so frustrating, how "normal" it is to not be in true control of your time.  I am sick of life being full of the "have-to's".  I want more time for my "want to's," or "let's see what happens," or "let's go that way.  Why?  Because it feels right."

That's how I want to live my life-as a traveler.
Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net


No comments:

Post a Comment