Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dressing for Four Months of Life in One Backpack

My home office/art space has quickly become the catchall for all of the things I plan to carry in a 3,000 cubic inch pack on my back for four months.

Over the weekend, I played with my potential wardrobe. I mixed and matched separates and created weather and situational scenarios in my head. For example: 

"If I am wearing this outfit in Cuzco and it starts cooling off and raining what will I throw on?" 
"If it's going to be 50 degrees in the morning and 80 degrees by four PM, but I can't change and only have my small day bag, what would I wear that day?"
"If we have a little extra cash and want to splurge on dinner in Barcelona, what would I wear to a nice restaurant?"
"If we're in Rome and the Pope wants to meet us, what would be appropriate?"

You get the idea. ;-)

When I told my husband that I was a bit stressed about taking the right wardrobe so I was playing dress up, he responded with, "Yeah, that's definitely a girl thing."  What can I say? Male wardrobes are so much simpler (and although my packing situation is more complicated, it's also much more fun!)!!

So what clothing items am I taking?  This is my pile: 


I will be adding a pair of jeans, a pair of khaki convertible pants that are waiting to be washed, and some socks, but I may be stripping out a couple items as well.

It may not seem like much - and it's really not - but there are so many other essentials (toiletries, cameras, diving gear, paperwork, journal, Kindle, footwear, laptop!) to take and only so much room in my pack!

Before we leave I will be sure to post a picture and list of the items that made the final cut, as well a picture of my bag packed and ready to go.

But for now...I continue to add and subtract items and contemplate the value of each and every addition.

Any advice or must have items?

No comments:

Post a Comment