Translate

Friday, April 20, 2012

Exploring Options...

One of the things we want to do while on our RTW trip is to (obviously) find ways to make money or spend less money.  One way recommended to us by friends and found in my research is to join an organization such as Workaway.info.  The basic premise of this is stated on the Workaway.info website under their philosophy:
"A few hours honest help per day in exchange for food and accommodation and an opportunity to learn about the local lifestyle and community, with friendly hosts in varying situations and surroundings."

My husband and I are obviously looking to travel and explore, but so much about traveling is the people you meet and experiences you have.  We're very adventurous, open to trying new things, and very curious individuals.

My husband surprised me by signing us up for the website (taking initiative!) and sending me our login information so I could explore it.  I was instantly enamored and managed the self-restraint to close the page after a few minutes because I was at work and knew I could easily get sucked in (more than I already was) and spend hours exploring the options available.

Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

During my few minutes searching I looked at opportunities in Iceland, Croatia and Turkey.  The options are so diverse - it makes me so excited!  It also prompted me to asked my hubby if should start planning on staying away longer so we can fit more of these awesome-sounding experiences in.  (He basically told me to calm down and that he wanted to continue to "plan" on six months, but continue to keep the option of extending our trip open if we still want to while we're abroad.)  OK, I can deal with that.

I'm just so excited!  How cool that I could work on a farm for two weeks (seriously!)!  Or I could teach English, or help out at a hostel, or work on developing a trail system through a national park, or assist people in growing their business or running their bed and breakfast?!  I am interested in trying just about ANYTHING once.  What an amazing idea that I can try out many different types of jobs, industries, and opportunities in countries around the world, and yet still have time to play and get a feel for the culture, sites and location!  And they feed me and give me a place to stay!

I'm in heaven and every time I look at the site I get more excited, impatient, and motivated!

Technology is truly amazing, and I'm so glad that people have developed these tools to help people like me and my hubby connect with others and set up opportunities BEFORE we even leave our zip code.

Truly amazing and awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment